Thursday, February 24, 2011

Life of a Working College Student

As you may have noticed, I haven't been a good blogger this week, and that is due to the crazy life I live. This week and last week I have been consumed by studying (for the four tests I had this week), working everyday, memorizing every bone in the skeleton and somehow managing some time to spend with my roommate, boyfriend, and a little sleep. But this week really put into perspective the power of leftovers. Leftovers have been my main meal this week, and I'm going to teach you had to spice up those left overs.

The key to making a left over great is turning them into a different meal, so you don't feel like your eating leftovers. I'm one of those people that loves leftovers, but I know I am one of very few. Some people seem to just get bored with the same food over and over again (I say if you find a delicious meal, eat it as often as you can!).

One of my leftovers of the week was a Mexican casserole. I had some enchilada sauce, rice, beans, chicken, and cheese so I just decided to throw them all together into a casserole (and made quite a bit). The next day, out of my leftovers I made burritos! All I had to do was heat up a tortilla and place the casserole inside, and BAM! a portable meal for me to eat on my 15 minute break at work.

The next leftover was pasta with vegetables. These leftovers came courtesy of Matthew. For Valentine's Day he had made me homemade pizza (he made the sauce, dough, everything! This will be a future blog posting). I used the leftover sauce that didn't get used in the pizza as a sauce for my pasta, then just topped it with vegetables. It literally took about 10 minutes to make (basically to cook the pasta).

Leftovers are a quick and easy way to clean out your fridge and make sure you aren't wasting food. As a college student on the go, I know fast meals are necessary, and rather than turning to some fast food (if you can even call it food) check out that tupperware in your fridge and see what new meal you can create.



*Also, here is a great tool I found on Stumble Upon, you basically put in what you have available to cook with and it shoots out recipes for what you have! Click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment