Thursday, February 3, 2011

List of must haves!

As you can see on the right side of the screen I have made a list of must have foods and ingredients. I've found that having these essential items available always helps out when I have no idea what to make and don't feel like running to the store (especially when it's -22 degrees outside!). It's really quite simple to throw a couple of these foods together and have a fantastic quick meal all in one skillet.

A few notes on some of the items:
  • Chicken: I usually buy my chicken from New Frontiers (like a whole foods or sprouts). I buy about 6-8 pieces and freeze them. This way they last longer and if I need to make a meal I just set them in the fridge to defrost or in a dish of hot water.
  • Beans beans beans! Beans are always great to have, they provide a great source of protein and make everything delicious from a bean salad to a chicken casserole
  • Olive oil: I suggest no other oil but extra virgin olive oil. I have recently learned that oils of supermarkets are actually rancid (except extra virgin olive oil) because they have been heated to 400 degrees and then just left to sit there on shelves, rotting away. 
  • Quinoa: I'm sure many of you read this and don't even know how to say it! It is pronounced kinwa, and it is an ancient grain that is a complete protein and also super delicious. It is a great substitute for pasta or rice to give you that extra protein. 
  • Spices and such: It's great to have an array of spices, they add variety to any food, but they tend to be a little pricey. I went through my step moms spice drawer and asked if I could take any of her duplicate spices to start off my collection; it was simple and free! If you have $40 to spare, Bed, Bath and Beyond, has a spice rack with spices included.
So go to your nearest health foods store and stock up on these must have items!

No comments:

Post a Comment