Monday, February 7, 2011

Power Food of the Week: Blueberries (Week 1)

As I figure out the layout of my blog I know there are at least two posts a week that are must haves: A weekly homemade recipe, and a weekly power food. A power food is a label I use for a functional food (a food that provides health benefits beyond basic nutrition). These posts are for all those people that think healthy foods can't be appetizing. This week's power food will be blueberries.

I may be slightly bias, but blueberries are one of the most delicious fruits of the Earth. Not only are they tasty, but they offer great nutritional value!

Health benefits: Blueberries contain naturally occurring "plant chemicals", or phytochemicals which boost not only antioxidant activity, but can also help your body fight against the risks of heart disease and cancer.  Phytochemicals are not necessarily components our bodies need to function properly, but they certainly help keep us healthy. One such phytochemical found in blueberries and other dark berries are anthocyanidins. This specific phytochemicals reduces free radicals (cancer causing chemicals derived from oxygen containing compounds), maintains heart health, and regulates cell health.


How to incorporate blueberries into your diet: Blueberries are a sweet little treat to add to many dishes. I enjoy some added into my oatmeal in the morning, or even a bowl of cereal. They are also great in a salad to give it a fresh spring taste. My all time favorite place to eat blueberries is on top of ice cream. Yes, ice cream may not be the healthiest of treats, but it is my one indulgence (and the blueberries make it not such a bad indulgence).  Blueberries are really just great enough to eat all on their own! You can have that sweet snack in the middle of the afternoon without feeling the guilt of overindulging, like you would if you had a milk and cookies.
Here is one adorable book about blueberries and one of my favorite childrens books (: If possible at all for you, I would recommend finding fresh blueberries, right from the Earth itself. Berries are the best before they are picked, packed, and slowly rotting on a grocery store shelf. If you are unable to get your blueberries fresh, at the very least buy organic. With many foods covered in pesticides, the health benefits would be very much outweighed by the harmful nature of hazardous chemicals. Click here to see the dirty dozen, a list of foods you should always buy organic.




Have a wonderful Monday!




*I received most of my information from my nutrition book (Nutrition, Paul Insel) and from scientific articles. But I highly recommend you to do your own research as well. I wouldn't just Google health benefits of blueberries, because a lot of myths and fad nutritional benefits come up, but rather go to Google Scholar which searches scientific journals for the information you are looking for. Sometimes the scientific journals cost money, but most of the time you can read excerpts, or their main points for free.

2 comments:

  1. I love love love blueberries, BUT you also might want to cover the difference between organic and non-organic foods (such as blueberries) when it is NECESSARY to buy organic foods and when it's not SOO bad to buy conventional. I know lots of the berries (strawberries, raspberries, etc) are HIGH in pesticides, so while they might be high in anti-oxidants, they might be high in carcinogenic... just a thought to make your blog even more awesome than it already is. LOVE!

    a food/health blog I love: http://chemicalfreeskinny.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jenn for the comments, buying organic is very important to get the most out of these great fruits.

    ReplyDelete